RE: How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?

i am not responsible for this website. please ask on the list who should do
this.

> Is this only with a class 1 modem (I will use class 2 or 2.0), or
> are these
> problems with all classes?
for me this is true for class1. i tested USR Sportser in Class2.0 with mass
faxing
but do not consider this, the firmware for Class2.0 in this modem is to bad:
lots
of unreproducible transmission errors.

this is Dmitry's statement about his patch:
*With a help of Harald Pollack from Austria (he was that very competent fax
*expert I told you about) I have found 2 new (3 total) bugs in Hylafax, that
*can potentially lead to RTN failure (byte-aligned first EOL, extra RTC in
*TIFF file, extra RTC send by Hylafax). All of them have hopefully been
*fixed  (for both Class1 and Class2/2.0) -- those Canon machines now respond
*with normal and proper and of connection :-)

*The fixes should be applied to the fresh 4.1beta2; some other my fixes (not
*RTN-related) are also included. You should ./configure after applying them
*(to update faxd/Makefile).

*Hope to hear from you soon,
*Dmitry

(i got this by private eMail from Dmitry)

> > > How stable is Hylafax 4.1 beta2 ?
> > i run it i a production environment, some thousands pages faxed the last
> > weeks with beta2
>
> I cannot understand that you send some thousands pages if you get the
> problems described above. Are the problems completely gone with this (very
> new) patch?
sorry, me description was unclear:
there are some modems (at least elsa an multitech) which hide the hylafax
bug(s)
from the outside world, so the fax machine does not see the badly
transmitted data
and will not respond with RTN.
the thousands pages have been sent with an elsa modem.

before i had all the desribed problems: unstable class2.0 in USR Sportser
and RTN with certain fax machines in class1 (but only with multi page faxes
on certain machines)

> > have a look at the posix-rename patch, not included in beta 4.2
>
> I found this patch, I will take a look at it.
>
> > > Is it maybe better to use Hylafax 4.0 ?
> > no, afaik no.
>
> > > Is there a new binary planned with Dmitry Bely's patch ?
> > you can get prconfigure 4.1beta2 source from suses ftp.
> > tip: first install normal rpm of beta2, this will configure your
> > system, then install source rpm, apply dimitry's patches and
> > let it run. was no real problem for me
>
> Thanks for the info ;-)
>
> > c++ compiler is not installed by suse-default (under 6.2)
> > link to srpm was posted to this list or search for suse faq from george
> zeigler
> > there you will find the link to the standard rpm and not far
> away will be
> > the source rpm.
>
> The source is distributed on the Suse CD's.
suse 6.2 comes with the sources for beta2? i don't think so. can
you please verify this?

> > or get yourself a recommend modem,
> > currently i use an elsa microlink basic 56k in class 2.0 with
> config file
> > from elsa homepage. no real problems (plain beta2, no patches applied)
> > multitech should also be a good choice.
>
> At the moment I use a Zyxel U-1496E for testing purposes, maybe I
> will later
> try some ISDN devices. I have a Zyxel 2864I here, but that works with only
> one line over a serial port, I would like one with two lines (one to
> dial-in, one for faxes), maybe the AVM Fritz! card what promises a Linux
> capi 2.0 would be fine. But will Hylafax work with such a capi?
look for 6.21 firmware on zyxels homepage and search for Dmitry's
other mails how to correct to config file for zyxel.

**AVM announced complete CAPI 2.0 support for passive and active cards
under Linux AND *** they announced a faxsend replacement for hylafax
this means: no class xxx problems any more: the driver runs the complete
fax protocol.
BTW faxsend is the program which is called by hylafax to finaly send the fax
over the line.

Bernd

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions