Problems Getting Up And Running (newbie)

I'm fairly new to Linux and while some things come easily this has not.
I'm running RH 6.1 kernel 2.2.14 on a Dell. I had no problem installing
HylaFAX  btu am having  plenty of trouble getting it to work. At first I
had a winmodem and soon realized they are not supported. So I bought a
Best Data Smart One Series 56k Data Fax modem. I can get minicom to use
it to dial out but have absoulutely no luck getting faxaddmodem to do
anything with it. Most recently I started getting emails such as the one
that follows from the system:

Subject: modem on /dev/modem appears wedged

The HylaFAX software thinks that there is a problem with the modem
on device /dev/modem that needs attention; repeated attempts to
initialize the modem have failed.

Consult the server trace logs for more information on what is happening.

I don't really know how to deal with this or what the problem might be
getting  HylaFAX up and running. The only thing tha I can think of now
is that I insttalled the RPM before the modem but that sounds a little
far off. Any help is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance, -peel

John Peel
Blue Road Productions
peel@blueroad.com

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions