Re: xferfaxlog

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 06:34:50PM +0100, Christian Nause wrote:
> Michael Stevens schrieb:
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 12:46:50AM +0800, Christopher Sze-wai Cheng wrote:
> > > I would like to drop down all information of "xferfaxlog" onto the database
> > > automatically. Does anybody know which program writes log to "xferfaxlog"?
> > I think I got as far as finding it in hfaxd, but I may be
> > misremembering. I've implemented a system which stops the server every
> > hour, parses the file into a mysql database, truncates it, and
> > restarts the server -- this seems to be working pretty well, although
> > you get the obvious lag before the entries get into the database.
> What happens with the clients when the server-process is down? Don't you get a
> mass of error-messages?

It's just long enough to parse the db and restart -- only takes a few
seconds. I find this is quick enough that I can get away with it. I
admit it's not an ideal solution, but it was quick and it worked. One
alternate solution might be to use File::Tail to constantly watch the
file and parse any new lines as they are generated. Glancing at the
File::Tail man page, it looks like that could be fairly easily
implemented.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions