Thinking about perl re-write of faxrcvd

I've been thinking about re-writing faxrcvd in perl and adding some
functionality that would be helpful at our site and maybe for some of
you guys as well.

Why perl? It's not that I'm a hot perl programmer, I'm just less worse
in perl than shell scripting. Groveling through

Anyway what I've been thinking is having a tab delimited file with a
function like etc/FaxDispatch where we could store options like:

* User's preferred format.

* Email the fax or just a notification?

* Move the fax file to a directory.

* Send file to another program or device.

Indeed, two files might be nice one with user prefs and one with a list
that associated users with fax numbers.

Anyway, I need to make sure that I'm not reinventing the wheel and if I
do write something that it be useful to more than just us. And on the
'preferred format' option, has anyone been able to create pdf files from
fax files using gs? I never get errors, but the pdf's come through
blank. Oh, I have seen references to mimencode as a mime encoder for
sendmail, is there a current download site for this program?

---
David Rouse
Network Manager
Goldsboro News-Argus