Re: HylaFAX with Macs, CGI or MacFlex?

Thanks for all the comments, I think the 'Could not reopen converted
document' problem might be a lingering problem with my install of
tifflib.

As to sending  file from Macs, I'll certainly look into SusSEFax. And
the comment from Maniatis has got me thinking. If it is possible to hack
a printer discription file to allow free-text printer options instead of
pop-up lists you could embed things like the sender's name, comments and
phone number in a postscript print job. You can set up any Unix machine
as an LPR printer and modern Macs can use LPR printers without
additional software, so this solution would involve less software than
the fax driver solution and would allow users to keep the same printer
UI (and driver software).

The problems then: Can you create a ppd that has free text fields in the
printer specific options area? Could you then extract this information
in a useful way for HylaFAX?

---
David Rouse
Network Manager