Re: Acknowledgement Paging Extension to TAP

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 02:37:44PM -0500, Laurance, Calvin E wrote:
> HylaFax' SNPP setup and TAP configurations have offered great success
> with ordinary alpha-numeric pagers and number pagers.  However, a new
> "interactive" pager is in use here which reportedly uses TAP-APE
> (Acknowledgement Paging Extensions).  This allows positive
> acknowledgement of the receipt of a page along with some nifty add-on
> features.
>
> The trouble is this: where is the APE protocol documented and how can I
> configure/disfigure HylaFax' TAP to utilize this feature?  My biggest
> fear is that this is a single-vendor-only extension, but I hate to accuse
> someone of this before I am sure.  Has any reader used or heard of this
> APE add-on to TAP?

I'm sure it's as well documented as IXO/TAP, which is to say, not at
all.

It would be _so_ nice if Glenayre et al would simply start implementing
SNPP in their frigging switches, so we wouldn't have to _go_ here.  You
could even use it on dialups.  I'm even pretty sure you could dual mode
a port, to deal with the installed base problem, without too much
trouble..

But no...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions