Re: modem 1000$ question

On Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 04:41:03PM -0700, Larry Lipstone wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote...
> > Apparently some modems can listen for CNG on the line before answering,
> > to allow them to distinguish incoming fax calls, which they should
> > answer, from incoming voice calls, which they shouldn't.
> >
> > Inasmuch as most CO switches no longer send transmit audio until the
> > call is answered, I don't see why this might be useful, but what they
> > hey...
>
> Probably to share the line with an answering machine (or maybe even a
> human?), so that it will pick up the line only for a fax call, taking
> the call away from the machine or other being.

Yes, Larry, but you missed the thrust of my comment: in most cases, if
the call coming in is not local, and even sometimes if it is, the CNG
tones will not be passed to the called line by the switch, so they will
not be there for the modem to hear, until it goes off hook.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions