Re: some1 knows how to let sendfax to send a ms word doc??

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Luca Domenella wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   i have this problem: i need to send a Microsoft Word 97 document using
> sendfax.
>
>   when i type: sendfax -n -m -d 07347827836 test.doc
>   i got this error: test.doc: Can not determine file type
pretty normal. Word DOC files are not a standard text format file.

You have to provide sendfax with a known standard format, either plain
text, PostScript (which can be had through printing with Word, even
WordViewer on an MS-OS-equipped PC), Tiff (I think)...

To convert a DOC to PS, in Word you simply print to a file, with the
adequate printer driver (I use a HP5 driver, I only have to remove a few
lines of PCL at the beginning of the file to obtain a perfect PS file)

If you're stuck on Un*x with a Word Document, well there are at least some
MSWORD->Postscript converter on Linux which I am aware of (search
freshmeat.net), or you can use StarOffice, or Wordperfect I would suspect.

>   how can i force sendfax to convert the .doc file and send it ???

You cannot.

>   im not a ghostscript user so if you will answer me to use ghostscript to
> convert it and then
>   send it, please.... tell me whats the syntax to convert the file....
>
>   but i think it should be another way to let sendfax convert and send the
> file.
>
>   TIA,
>
> Luca

Best Regards
--
Fabrice.
          _           Fabrice Gamberini -  Software Integration.
 `-----------------'  mailto: gamberin@art.alcatel.fr