Re: recommended modems for use with Hylafax

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 08:18:14AM +0200, Matthias Reich EDV-Programmierung wrote:
> We intend to set up ten more Servers and have a "little" problem.
> Checking out the list with recommended modems we found out the listet
> modems are out of date. You can only buy versions of modems that are NOT
> listed in the modems-list.

You aren't the first to notice this.  I think it's time for a
bake-off... or at least a new round of data collection.

> Can anybody (esp. in germany) tell us, which modems are best for use
> with Hylafax today ?? We tried a USR Sportster with no success.

That's singularly unsurprising; even the Couriers, which are so good at
almost everything else, aren't all that great at faxing, I gather,
although newer firmware helps.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else: spend the money, buy
MultiTech.  MT5634ZDX.  I have one installed, as do many others, and
very few problems seem to be reported with these modems.  They're a bit
pricey, but if you're building systems like that, the cost of the modem
is lost in the noise to the cost of the support if it's bad.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions