Re: Phase D errors/Hangup problems & wordwrap...

> I sent an ascii text file as a fax ok - the carriage returns work fine, but
> if I have a line that word wraps, the fax screws up.  So what control
> character is sent for a word wrap, and how do I fix it?

There is no ASCII character for word wrap, which iw why email (not this
one) created by GUI emailers with single line 1000 character paragraphs is
so annoying; the word wrap has been put in by your local viewing program.
On Unix systems you will have, or can get, the fmt filter to wrap text.
I assume it would build on Windows OK.

There isn't even an ISO 8859/1 character for word wrap.

Incidentally, text with slightly overlong lines which have been
wrapped looks even worse than wrapped one line paragraphs.  Coalescing
consecutive lines and re-wrapping the inferred paragraphs can break
vertical layout features, including ASCII art, or even the > style
of email quoting.

The right thing to do with plain text is for the creator to wrap it,
or for the sender to run it through a word processor and send the
resulting Postscript.

> Jul 06 10:17:46.47: [ 6987]: SEND end page
> Jul 06 10:17:46.47: [ 6987]: SEND send EOP (no more pages or documents)
> Jul 06 10:17:46.47: [ 6987]: <-- data [2]
> Jul 06 10:20:46.46: [ 6987]: REMOTE HANGUP: Unspecified Transmit Phase D
> error,
> including +FPHCTO timeout between data and +FET command (code 50)

The remote fax machine has dropped the line when told that there is no
more data, rather than acknowledging the fact first.  (Phase D is the
300bps negotiation between pages.)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions