Re: consultant wanted for install...

Hi David,

At 08:51 AM 4/14/99 +0100, David Woolley wrote:
>My impression is that it is worse than that.  As I see it, Sportsters
>used to work with the supplied configuration file, then, after a firmware
>change, used to fail so badly that the only solution was to go to Class
>1, and finally came back halfway and behaved illegally with the standard
>configuration but could be made to work by changing that configuration.
>By illegally, I mean they did things that should not have happened even
>for a bad configuration file.

The new beta from ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/source/BETA/ has the AT+FNR
fix in the config file(ie 'can't report noise frames correctly bug') which
hopefully should handle the more recent modems.  The 1996 models are
obviously a problem, perhaps a big note somewhere in the documentation or
in faxaddmodem somewhere to only try to run them in Class 1 - hopefully
these are gradually fading into history.

For the latest release models if anyone has any other changes that improve
the reliability that would be much appreciated.

>It might be worth noting that there seems to be very little documentation
>available from the late USR on how to operate them in fax mode, so I suspect
>the configuration files were constructed by a combination of reading the
>generic EIA specs and trial and error.

Try:
	http://ae.pcd.usr.com/
and more specifically: