Re: consultant wanted for install...

> Greetings: I take it that USR modems don't work well with hylafax. But =
> they are on the list of modems in the docs. What's the problem?

Firstly before USR were taken over by 3COM, they made two lines of
modems:  Sportsters and Couriers.  Various firware versions of the
Sportster (the cheap one) will either not work at all with hylafax
or require modifications to the Hylafax configuration to prevent them
replying with gibberish in phase B of the fax protocol.  The Couriers
were premium products and don't produce problem reports, but are probably
not widely used.

After the takeover, one or both of the names Sportster and Courier were
abandoned in favour of simply "US Robotics Modem".  From the physical
description given by people, it looks as though this is the problematic
Sportster model, although one person claims to have seen ATI strings
implying that it is the Courier.

The Sportster was designed purely as an occassional use desktop modem
not for unattended use on a server, which was the role of the Courier.

It is probably a reasonable assumption that the line will be discontinued
when component stocks are depleted.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions