Re: 3com/USR Prof Msg Modem: pages squished/fax aborted

Hi,

> > 	3com/USR Professional Message Modem, latest firmware (V.90)

> Does Professional mean Courier or is it intended to make the Sportster
> sound posher than it is.

The 3com/USR Professional Message Modem is a combination of a V.90
modem with a stand-alone answering machine and fax receiver.

> > Apr 05 20:42:03.57: [ 8268]: MODEM set baud rate: 19200 baud,
>            input flow NONE, output flow NONE
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is your problem, as confirmed by:

Tracing back this error, I recognized that the automatic detection
routine does not work well with the manufacturer ID returned by the
modem. The modem answers "U.S. Robotics..." which does not match
"USRobotics..." in the Class 2.0 USR file with rtscts flow control.
I copied usr-2.0 to usr-pmm-2.0 and changed the CLASS line to be
matched to something like
	U.S.\ Robotics...
I do not recall it exactly - the file is at home. The backslash is
mandatory. I reran the faxaddmodem command and now faxing works as
expected. Thank you very much for pointing out the problem to me.
If anyone is interested, I can post the complete usr-ppm-2.0 config
file to this mailing list.

Best regards,
Boris
--