Re: consultant wanted for install...

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 04:04:56PM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
> >On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 06:45:17AM -0800, Andrew DePaula wrote:
> >> Greetings: I take it that USR modems don't work well with hylafax.
> >> But they are on the list of modems in the docs. What's the problem?
> >
> >You mean: "why are they on the list if they don't work well"?
>
> There are always going to be much more complaints about the Sportster than
> any other kind of modem as there are just so many sold.   I should say here
> a reasonable percentage of the complaints(perhaps up to half) are due to
> the Hylafax configuration file by default not being setup right for use
> with the Sportster.

This is possible.  A reader contributed his config file recently to the
list, and reports are that it seems to be working acceptably.

If enough positive reports come in on it, perhaps Darren & Co can fold
it into the distro.

> The way to fix this to get a new patch-level release out as soon as
> possible(donations of working configuration files & people to test would be
> much appreciated ;-).

See above.  ;-)

> I am sure with a reasonable configuration file, or running in Class1 for a
> 1996 model, similar reliability to other standard Rockwell models can be
> achieved. ie the same performance as any other cheaper modem.

I'd like to hope.

> >Because people _use_ them.  They're simply more problematical than
> >other brands like the MultiTech.  They're not impossible to use, if
> >you're stuck with one.  It's simply that if you're spending money,. you
> >want to spend some of it on your modem, and that is _not_ the modem you
> >want to spend it on.
> >
> >Shame, too; I like the Couriers a _lot_ in every other way.
>
> The Couriers work fine as fax modems, provided you have recent firmware.
> Older models( < 1997) did not have a very good fax implementation.  The
> current Courier would only be beaten by the Zyxel 1496 for reliability.

I have a fairly recent V.Everything on a client's machine; I'll have to
test...

> PPS I think soon 95% modems sold will be software only anyway, this will
> hollow out the middle of the market and leave only the high end models  ;-)

Ghod, let's hope not.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions