Re: Switching Modem to Data

In message <19990321111602.53491@scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us>, "Jay R. Ashworth" writes
:

>The /dev/modem thing is a RedHatism, and is widely regarded as one of
>their worse ideas.

True!

>The peoper thing to do is to use /dev/cuaN for
>_everything_ you do with a port that involves outbound calls, as I
>understand it.

The proper thing is to follow ONE convention, definitely, but not the cuaN one.

>I do understand, too, that in newer kernels, the cua ports will be all
>there is, and ttyS will go away entirely, or at least, I _think_ that's
>what I understand.

Nearly ;-) From linux-2.2.3/Documentation/Changes:

        Also, please remember that cua* devices are now obsolete.  Switch to
        the corresponding ttyS* device instead (e.g., cua0 -> ttyS0, cua1 ->
        ttyS1, etc.).

>I can see that if I'm going to get in bed with Hylafax, I'm going to go
>live in Ted T'so shirt pocket for a while...

*grin*

-Darren

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions