Re: Switching Modem to Data

On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 06:42:48AM -0500, Lane Lester wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
> > > I now have hylafax's startup string in inittab, but it seems to be
> > > blocking my use of the modem for data.  Is there some way to avoid this
> > > problem?
> >
> > In what way is it blocking it.  Hylafax can handle inbound data calls and
> > has no problems with outbound data calls if configured correctly (using
>
> Thanks to all who have helped with my various questions.  It looks like
> Christopher has at least one way to avoid conflict: using a different
> name for the device... although I understand you to be saying that I
> =should= use the same name for all programs that use the modem.  I see
> that ppp is using dev/modem, so I will try that instead of dev/cua1.

Ahem.

:-)

> In answer to your question, the respawn in inittab causes the modem
> to initialize while a data call is still going on.

The /dev/modem thing is a RedHatism, and is widely regarded as one of
their worse ideas.  The peoper thing to do is to use /dev/cuaN for
_everything_ you do with a port that involves outbound calls, as I
understand it.

Mice can live on /dev/ttySN, since there's no problems with carrier
detect.

I do understand, too, that in newer kernels, the cua ports will be all
there is, and ttyS will go away entirely, or at least, I _think_ that's
what I understand.

I can see that if I'm going to get in bed with Hylafax, I'm going to go
live in Ted T'so shirt pocket for a while...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions