Re: wedged??

Ian Diddams wrote:

> I've perused the archives but found no definitive answer (it appears!!)
>
> I have made the fatal mistake of having had bought for me a US Robotics
> 56K Faxmodem with which to run Hylafax, 'cos after all they're the dogs'
> doo-dahs aren't they, good ol' USR?
>
> Well, as I now learn they are the dogs doo-daas for everything except
> Hylafax !!  :-)
>
> So tomorrow I'll be off to the boss to get him to buy something
> unlikelily named such as "CrudMeister fax Modem Mk XIV" (made in N.
> Korea) because it appears that whilst USR ain;t no good, this will be
> despite nobody having heard of them!!  ;-)

I would recommend the MultiTech MT2834Z modem, if you're buying a new
one.

> Anyhow, just for interests sake.....
>
> - has ANYBODY got a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem to work with Solaris 2.6
> using gcc v 2.8.1 on a Sparc 10?  I've tried consiguring for both class
> 1 and 2.0 with no joy.
>
> - has anybody ANY idea what "wedged" is, what causes it, and why
> /dev/cua/a is wedged before I've even done anything

Wedged means that faxgetty is unable to communicate with the modem
(send it a few AT commands and get the appropriate responses).

> - why faxgetty runs all the time, respawning when I kill it, even though
> it is NOT in inetd.conf!

It is probably in /etc/inittab.

Damian

* Damian Ivereigh     *      ||        ||      * Cisco Systems, Inc.
*
* MIS Printer Admin   *    .||||.    .||||.    * Sydney, Australia
*
* Linux Bigot         * ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. * +61 2 8448 7344
*
* damian@cisco.com    *   cisco Systems, Inc.  * Fax: +61 2 8448 7228
*

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions