Zoom 56K Class2 modem

My Zoom 56Kx dualmode external modem, model 2949, seems to work well with
hylafax in Class 2, and very well in data mode at both k56flex and v.90.
It hasn't passed very many real faxes yet, but I tested it intensely
with another hylafax system using a Zyxel Omni 288S modem.

Don't confuse this with model 2949L with a Lucent chipset; I have no
data on it.  My model 2949 uses a Rockwell chip and the config file
is based on the model in /var/spool/fax/config/rockwell with these
important changes:

1)  ModemHardFlowCmd:     AT&K6           # HW & SW flow control
The modem responds to both rts/cts and xon/xoff flow control.
This is required to send and receive faxes, but is not good for
dial-in data calls.  I haven't found a workable way to change to &K3
just for data calls, but it works OK for PPP connections.

2)  #ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd:      "<19200><xon>"  # modem switches
							on fax receive
I had to comment this out.  Anything at all in ModemAnswerFaxBeginCmd:
caused the line to drop.  And it wasn't needed.

3)  ModemRate:            115200
This works great for data, and the modem seems to handle whatever
the fax speed is without intervention.

4)  ModemSetupAACmd:      AT+FAA=1+FCLASS=0 # enable autodetection
No change here, except to make the comment more descriptive.
Auto-detection works fine.

5)  ModemType:              Class2          # use class 2 interface
    ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # default
No change here, either.  Just wanted to be perfectly clear.

Here's what the modem reports:
   ati0:	56000
   ati1:	255
   ati3:	V2.100-K56_2M_DLS-A Z201
   ati5:	022
   ati6:	RCV56DPF L8570A Rev 47.24/47.24
   at+fmfr?:	ROCKWELL
   at+fmdl?:	AC/K56

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hilton Head Is., SC
	degraaf@rhsnet.com       843-785-3136, -3156 (fax)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions