Re: Help: HylaFAX and US Robotics 56K voice v90 modem

Dean Tran wrote:

> I spend few days to set up the Hylafax to work with my computer:
>
> Pentium II 400 MHZ
> US Robotic 56K voice (v90) internal modem
>
> I have all ghostscripts/tiff installed per instruction of HylaFAX
> homepage.
>
> After I finish 'faxsetup' and 'faxaddmodem' my modem is in unknown
> state, that I can't dial in my ISP server. Must reset the modem with ATZ
>
> command.  With faxaddmodem, I choose (and test each AT command)
> to my best knowledge.
>
> Still can't send fax out with test fax file (sendfax -n -d xxx.xxx
> file_name )
>
> faxstat -s tell me that:
>
> HylaFAX scheduler on localhost is running
> Modem ttyS2 ...... : Waiting for modem to come free        <--- what
> does this mean???

I have the misfortune of working with a US Robotics Sportster also.
(This is just a proof-of-concept I'm working on; when I show the boss,
if he likes it, we'll buy something decent).  When you do 'faxaddmodem',
is it detecting the type of the modem correctly?  There are matching
rules that match what the modem tells you it is against the config
files.  If you are telling it that it's a Class 1 modem (which I had to
do to get things to work), it's using a 4-digit code that's coming back
from the modem to do this.  Find out through 'cu -l' what that code is
(ATI0 command).  My code, 3361, was not in the usr-xon or usr-rts files,
so I stuck it in there.  Once faxmodem was able to pick up the right
config file as a template, the right strings were used to talk to my
modem, so I got away from the problem you're having.  (You could also
just copy over usr-xon or usr-rts over to etc/config.ttyS2, and then
modify it by hand; but I like being able to have faxaddmodem do stuff
for me).

Good luck.  Of course the best answer is to get another kind of modem!

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions