Re: Compatibility confusion

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> "A month of sundays ago Pierre Scotney wrote:"
> >
> > install the cs4232.o module I get the message:
> >
> > ./cs4232.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> Well, the driver must already be loaded then.
>
> > 0: CS4236B (CS4236B) (DUPLEX)
>
> Indeed, loaded and not complaining.

I installed the OSS demo after not being able to get the RedHat modules to
work, and which proved that the sound would work.  My question is about
getting the RedHat sound modules to work and if _they_ are compatible, not
the OSS system.

> ??? You mean does the kernel driver you ahve already loaded (and you haven't
> said which it is!) support your soundcard? Dunno. Ask the author. It's
> ceryainly not visibly complaining, but then you haven't loaded it with verbose
> options - indeed you seem not to know which you have loaded, or how -
> and you haven't shown the dmesg output that would contain the errors :-).

What do you mean by kernel driver?  I mean the modules that come with the
RedHat 2.0.35 kernal in the misc directory.  Am I missing something basic
about the kernal modules and how they work?

Regards,

Pierre.

Pierre.Scotney@bristol.ac.uk

Biomolecular Structures                        Systems Support
Department of Biochemistry                     University Library
The University of Bristol                      The University of Bristol