Re: Arlington Hewes' RPM for Linux under RedHat 5.1

Hi!

raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu said:
> 1. Overall construction is good. It seems to do a complete job of
> installation, and works well for my Sportster modem under RedHat 5.1,
> with appropriate start-up scripts and warnings about HylaFAX specific
> needs (Thanks, Doug: you did say to call you Doug, right?)

Thats what I think. I did install the RPM last week and it worked out of the
box. However, a littel tweaking was necessary to get some of the statistic
scripts running.

The problem (and the fix) was simple: In the scripts, the logfile was called
etc/xferstats and not etc/xferfaxstats.

raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu said:
> 2. The dependencies are bad. The demand for ghostscript 5.10 fonts
> forces one to either over-ride the dependencies or grab contributed
> fonts.

Did install with --nodeps and could not find a problem here (receive-only
environment at the moment).

raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu said:
> 3. There is an unnecessary dependency in the HylaFAX rpm on the "mawk"
> rpm, when "gawk" is more than sufficient for HylaFAX.

Hey, thanks for pointing this one out. On my stock RedHat-5.1 xferfaxstats
produced wrong statistics (didn't make snseful things when using -since).
After about an hour of testing I changed $AWK in setup.cache and voila, now
the output makes sense.

Another small note: There seems to be a typo in the .spec-file. The output of
rpm -qi hylafax looks like this:

Name        : hylafax                     Distribution: (none)
Version     : 4.0pl2                            Vendor: (none)
Release     : 1rh5                          Build Date: Fri May 29 02:22:13
1998
Install date: (none)                        Build Host: roam
Group       : Applications/Communications   Source RPM:
hylafax-4.0pl2-1rh5.src.rpm
Size        : 4774865
Summary     : HylaFAX(tm) is a sophisticated enterprise strength fax package
Description :
HylaFAX(tm) is a sophisticated enterprise-strength fax package for
class 1 and 2 fax modems on unix systems. It provides spooling
services and numerous supporting fax management tools.
The fax clients may reside on machines different from the server
and client implementations exist for a number of platforms including
windows.

#%package man
#Group:         %{group}

#%description man
#This package includes the [uncompressed] man pages for %{name}.
#
#%package man-gz
#Group:         %{group}
#Provides:      %{name}-man

#%description man-gz
#This package includes the compressed man pages for %{name}.
#
#Note:  helptool obviously cannot search in compressed man pages [but
#       curiously enough, it can search in compressed info pages !?].
#       Use the uncompressed ones, if this is not what you want.
#       The glimpse-rman-tkman combo e.g. can search compressed man pages.
#
#%package htmldoc
#Group:         %{group}
#
#%description htmldoc
#This package includes the html documentation for %{name}.

But anyway, its a great package, thanks for the effort to build it!

Greetings, Sascha

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions