faxaddmodem problems on BSDI..

I'm trying to install this Hylafax 4.0pl2 on BSDI 2.1.
when i run faxaddmodem, on this way:  faxaddmodem (enter), this require
me some information as his normal operation, but when is probing for
best speed to talk to modem, read from the modem 38400 and still
delaying until i kill the process when too
many time is passed.

i tested the way: faxaddmodem -s 9600, but it  produce me the following
output:
"Something seems to be hung, check the modem", i revised both cable and
modem, but it doesn't seem have problems.

My modem is a USRobotics 28.8Kbps and is installed on COM1 port server
(tty00)

What can i do?
Thanks in advance.

Iris Silva