new DisplayNumber dialrules has no effect on cover page

I'm trying to strip the 1010xxx long distance dialing code from the
front of a the cover-page displayed telephone number so recipients do
not see how I routed a fax.  I created a rule to strip this stuff:

DisplayNumber := [
    ^1010[0-9][0-9][0-9]1 = 1
    ^1010[0-9][0-9][0-9]-1 = 1
]

Dialtest shows this rule to work the way I expect,
turning a phone number like
  10103331-617-6477779
into
  1-617-6477779
for display purposes.

But when I do a sendfax, the cover page still contains the full
number.  I only have one machine, it is both server and client, so I
put the new rule in the /var/spool/fax/etc/dialrules file, pointed to
by

   DialStringRules:   "etc/dialrules"

in the corresponding /var/spool/fax/etc/config file.  I know my
changed file is being read in, becuase if I make a syntax error in the
dialrules, the console complains about it when I send a fax.

I also tried adding an identical DialStringRules to my config.cua_0
file, and finally I took my DisplayNumber rule out of etc/dialrules
and created a /usr/local/lib/fax/dialrules file for it instead, like
the dialrules man pages says, and that had no effect either (but since
no config file points to that I don't see why it would).

So how can I get DisplayNumber to work?

--gary
Gary Sabot              |  Voice:    (781) 647-7776
Sabot Associates, Inc.  |  FAX:      (781) 647-7779
10 Carroll Circle       |  Internet: gary@sabot.com
Weston, MA 02493  USA   |