Re: HylaFAX last page problem: REMOTE HANGUP: Invalid response to MPS (code 53)

> Hans Feringa:

> I tried to find some details of the facsimile protocol, to try and
> understand the log files better, but the references I found have
> removed the information since (like www.grayfax.com), or I can
> not find them.

> 1) Where can I find some details about the facsimile protocol
>    (just enough to 'decode' the log files.)
> 2) How can I solve this problem.

Unfortunately, "just enough" tends to be quite a lot.  There's the TIA/EIA-592 spec for Class 2 fax control, and the CCITT T.0 - T.63 recommendations (you really only want the T.30 spec), both available from Global Engineering Documents (800-624-3974).  It's difficult to figure out what's going on without both documents, and even then it's hard.

The reponse received (Invalid response to MPS) indicates a disagreement amoung
the fax modems involved about how to proceed.  The MPS signal is described as:

>From the transmitter to the receiver.
Multipage signal - To indicate the end of a complete page of facsimile information and to return to the beginning of phase C upon receipt of a confirmation.

To debug more would require turning up the debug level to get the raw HDLC frames, and, of course, more digging into the spec.

But unless it's a bad line, the two modems just don't work together.  Does it happen for all locations you try to fax to?  You didn't mention modem type,
destination, etc.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions