Re: RE : ZyXEL is seriously studying ZyXEL-Hylafax performance issues

Dear Rowen,

| "To setup HylaFAX for inbound facsimile or data service a modem =
| configuration file must be setup and a faxgetty program must be started =
| to listen for input on the tty device. The configuration file setup is =
| usually done at the same time that outbound service is configured; i.e. =
| when faxaddmodem is run. A faxgetty server for the modem should be setup =
| to be run by the init(1M) process according to local system conventions. =
| For System V-based systems this is done by editing the /etc/inittab file =
| to spawn faxgetty on the appropriate port. For example, if a modem is to =
| be started on /dev/ttyf2 the following line might be appropriate:   =
| t2:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyf2 ..."
|
| [Rowen Chu] We have add one line in /etc/ttyS1 with =
| 't2:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1'. But it seems useless.

This line must be added to /etc/inittab, not to /etc/ttyS1 as you've
mentioned. I presume that was a typographical error.

Also, after adding this line, I presume you have either rebooted the
system, or better still, just given the command

	init q

while logged in as root. This will make the "init" process re-read the
/etc/inittab file.

| [Rowen Chu] The RingBeforeAnswer parameter is 1.
| I don't know where I was wrong. Have you met such situation before?

Just send me the /etc/inittab file, so that I can take a look.

Also, just send me the output of "faxstat". This command will typically
display just two lines of output.

| By the way, in the "Installing Hylafax v4.0pl2 on RedHat Linux 5.0",
| section 7 "How to start up the fax daemons".
| To start the daemon by hand, I was asked to do:
| prompt# sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax start
| where /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax is a symbolic link to
| ../rc0.d/K91hylaxfax or ../rc3.d/S91hylafax
| But I didn't find hylafax, K91hylaxfax or ../rc3.d/S91hylafax
| Am I missing something?

This script, /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax, is something that I don't know
about. However you typically need to do just three things to get Hylafax
started on a Linux system:

1.	Add the entry to /etc/inittab as described, to start faxgetty

2.	Run "init q"

3.	Run the command /usr/local/sbin/faxq as root, from command line.
	This command will exit immediately.

This should be all you need to get Hylafax started. However, if you want
to make sure that faxq starts up automatically each time that you reboot
the system, you'll need to insert this command in rc.local or one of the
other such rc.* scripts. I hope RedHat has rc.local. I have one because
I use the simpler Slackware Linux.

regards,
Shuvam

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions