Re: RE : ZyXEL is seriously studying ZyXEL-Hylafax performance issues

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Rowen Chu wrote:

> Dear all,
> Thanks all your help. Now we can startup the outbound service already. But we still got trouble with Inbound service. The modem won't accept the incoming call.
> According to the setup procedure: Setting up Inbound Service

Nice of you to get involved with us, Rowen!

> [Rowen Chu] We have add one line in /etc/ttyS1 with 't2:23:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1'. But it seems useless.

This is overall correct, but the syntax depends on where you installed
faxgetty. This depends on whether you are using the RPM binaries, source,
what patches you've installed, etc.

> [Rowen Chu] The RingBeforeAnswer parameter is 1.
> I don't know where I was wrong. Have you met such situation before?

Not offhand, but we'd be glad to help.

> By the way, in the "Installing Hylafax v4.0pl2 on RedHat Linux 5.0", section 7 "How to start up the fax daemons".

This is my note.

> To start the daemon by hand, I was asked to do:
> prompt# sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax start
> where /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax is a symbolic link to ../rc0.d/K91hylaxfax or ../rc3.d/S91hylafax
> But I didn't find hylafax, K91hylaxfax or ../rc3.d/S91hylafax
> Am I missing something?

The "hylafax" initialization script is in the source code, called
"etc/hylafax.sh". The exact syntax of it depends on your local
installation, but under RedHat 5.0, /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax is where
it should be installed. This is not clear in my web page: I'll update
that within a day or so, thank you for the note.

Now, what does "faxstat" report? Does it show the modem as "running
and idle"?  And are you running in Class1, Class2, or Class2.0?

I have not myself tried the new RPM for RedHat 5.0: I've been
reluctant to rip out the copy I compiled and installed myself, and
based on which I wrote my web page. This means I'm uncertain of what
"config.local" file was used, and how it was built, so I'm a bit
uncertain of exactly where it put all its files.

I would be *DELIGHTED* to help your people straighten this out for
other Linux users. I've been happy with my Zyxel 1496 modem for years,
and have recommended your company to new modem buyers since then.  I
would love to have a solid, tested alternate to the useless piece of
untested unfinished unreliable horse droppings being sold with the
label "USR Sportster" to folks unaware of its failings who think all
modems are the same.

My web site also has pointers to a set of patches known to work for
RedHat 5.0 and SunOS 4.1.4. These are available at
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax, and you may want to download the
source and make a clean installation from those, with a local copy of
the HTML documentation and man pages re-arranged for the particular
Linux setup you are using.

In fact, I do some network consulting on the side. If you need
extensive support on the side, and could pay in modems, I could find
the time to devote a couple of solid days to assisting you.  Short of
that, I'd be glad to help for free with occasional pointers and
answers to questions.

			Nico Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary