Re: RedHat Linux 4.2 & HylaFax

>Hi,
>I'd like to use Hylafax as a fax gateway on a Linux machine with RedHat
>4 for a network
>of windows PCs.
>Everything works fine, but when I try to send a postscript file
>generated from word97,
>i get a 'Unspecified phase D transmission error'.
>I've seen in the mailing list archive that some-windows generated
>postscript produce a 1734-points TIFF instead of 1728; but I've seen
>that the TIFF is 1728 pixel !
>I am using Ghostscript 3.33 and a plain RedHat Linux 4.2; the modem is a
>Zyxel 1496e.
>I'de like to know if anyone using the RedHat 4.2 had success sending
>postscript files
>generated by a windows machine!
>
>Thank you!

Yes, we have been doing that for a while now. We started using 4.0pl0 on
RedHat 4.0 with Winflex (WFW 3.11) and Macflex clients, then moved over to
WHFC 0.4x for Win 95 and upgraded to 4.0pl1 (compiled from the .tar.gz).
Managed to whip up our own cover page and automatic printing of outgoing
faxes (never tried incoming). We're substantially satisfied with the setup;
there lots of improvements which could be added, but priority is low since
fax lost most of its significance because of email.

I also looked into developing a printer driver for Windows 95, to
supplement WHFC, but the learning process associated is slowing me down
(also, the API is cumbersome to say the least).

Basically, I think hylafax and RedHat clash a bit because of issues
discussed some time ago on this list (names and paths for programs, files
and man pages): my solution has been to move / rename stuff according to
the FSSTND and make all necessary changes before recompiling. I am aware
that when I go and borrow someone else's code from contrib areas, the first
thing I need is to look for path and name changes. I also investigated use
of symlinks, but gave up.

Hope this helps.

Davide Bolcioni

#include <disclaimer.h> // Not my company's opinions above, not even my own

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions