RE: HylaFAX 4.0pl1: Use multiple modems for sending alpha-pages?

On Wednesday, February 11, 1998 10:57 AM, Nico Garcia
[SMTP:raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu] wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Paul Dugas wrote:
>
> > For my first fax/paging server, I setup HylaFAX on my SPARC Solaris
> > machine
> > using a single USR 28,800 Fax modem.  Works great.  My customer, the
> > Georgia
> > DOT, is using it for personnel notifications of traffic problems.  It's
> > become very popular and the single modem won't hack it so I added a
couple

> > more and thought I was done!
>
> GOOD! You might also want to publish any changes you had to make on
> your USR's config files.

The only change was to add the modem setup for sending pages:

	PagerSetupCmd:	AT&N2&K0&M0

> > the same server.  I know it will have to make a call for each one but
does
> > it
> > have to do so on the same modem?  Can't it spin up all three at once?
> >  I've
>
> It should be able to. How do you submit faxes? As text, Postscript, or
> TIFF files? And do you have funky things in your config files like
> ModemClass, which should be set to blank?

We aren't using the fax server yet.  Just alpha-numetic paging.  No, I've
used the
usr-rts configuration file "out-of-the-box" for the Sportster and the mt-1432
for the
MultiTech's.  The only additions were the PagerSetupCmd line.

BTW: for the MT2834BR "PagerSetupCmd: AT$MB1200&E0&E14" seems to work.

> > what I'm seeing.  I've even tried running three 'sendpage' jobs to three
> > different pager centrals with three different pin numbers but they still
> > end
> > up on the first modem.
>
> > The details:
> > 	Sun SPARC Ultra
> > 	Solaris 2.5.1
> > 	HylaFAX v4.0pl1
> > 	One USR Sportster 28,800 (on cua/b)
> > 	Two MultiTech MT2834BR (on remote Digi PortServerII using their RealPort
> >
> > drivers)
>
> WHOA RIGHT HERE! Try swapping the modems around. Put your Multitech
> modems on cua/b, see if they work there. Also be aware that HylaFAX
> isn't guaranteed to work remote terminal servers, for a lot of
> reasons.

IMHO, the terminal server is not introducing anything different that what the
standard
/dev/tty[ab] provides.  We're using Digi PortServerII's and their RealPort
drivers.  We
use them with our own software to control the surveillance cameras and
changeable
message signs all up and down the freeways in Atlanta.  Work fine.  Besides,
I can
force the server to use a specific modem (sendpage -h cua_a003@faxserver ...)
and
the page goes through.

> Try moving the USR over to ther remote server as well, and see what
> you get there. It just might be a modem configuration problem.

<SNIP>

I think the problem is with the scheduler or something else in the server,
not the
'pagesend' program or modem config.  Can someone explain how the server
decides when, and how many, pagesend jobs run?  Is that too complicated to
discuss here?

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

--