Re: faxgetty & pppd

> "using the built-in interlocking mechanism provided by HylaFAX. In this
> case the appropriate device to use is typically named /dev/cu*, but
> check local conventions."

Local conventions depend on your operating system.  Using /dev/cu* on
Linux will probably produce the observed problem, but even that depends
on the setserial options used.  (The advice from the author of the
Linux serial driver is never to use /dev/cu* on Linux.)

> But there is no information on 'the built-in interlocking mechanism'.

It's certainly in the documentation, as I didn't need to read the source]
to discover it.  Basically, it monitors the serial line buffer (probably
with select(2)) and if it finds anything there, it looks for a UUCP lock
file, according the local conventions, which are configurable.  If there
is none present, it creates such a lock file and proceeds.

What is probably happening to you is that your kernel is locking access
to the serial line so ppp can't get to the stage of trying to create
a lock file.

NB.  All applications must agree on the serial device name, otherwise UUCP
locking won't work.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions