faxgetty & pppd

Hi all,

I'm really happy with hylafax so far, excellent package, but I'm a bit
confused about the situation with faxgetty and pppd.

I understand the situation with inbound support, faxgetty 'handing over'
to mgetty whenever necessary, but it's outbound I have a problem with.

If I enable faxgetty in my inittab, as :-

fx:345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty cua1

all works fine on receiving faxes.  However, when I try to use pppd to
dial out on the same port, obviously I get the message :-

Jan 30 09:02:18 zack pppd[1049]: Failed to open /dev/cua1: Device or
resource busy

Now, what is the correct mechanism for combining these two so I can dial
out while faxgetty is not actually answering a fax?

I have studied the FAQ and man pages and can find nothing which works.
I've read the 'Choosing a TTY device' section which said :-

"using the built-in interlocking mechanism provided by HylaFAX. In this
case the appropriate device to use is typically named /dev/cu*, but
check local conventions."

But there is no information on 'the built-in interlocking mechanism'.

Can somebody shed some light?

Many thanks in advance,

Dave.

--