Re: Fax != uucp

> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Jonathan Chen wrote:
>
> > > Has anyone looked at the implications (or difficulty) of just changing
> > > the name 'fax' as used internally by HylaFax to 'uucp' so this
> > > wouldn't be an issue?

> > 	#define  FAX_USER        "uucp"  /* account name of the ``fax user'' */
> > What do the others think?
>
> I did not change the defined FAX_USER variable, but I changed the
> setup-scripts faxsetup and faxaddmodem and I gave fax another uid than
> uucp and it works...

The problem here is that you can't share usage of the modems with any
other programs (uucp, cu, kermit, etc.) that depend on the modem
device being writable by uucp's uid.  If you use any such programs
the uid has to match or the system permissions won't work.  The
text of the name is only cosmetic.

  Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions