Re: Some more thoughts on rpm

> I hope the following appraoch will meet everybody's concerns.
> I will write the rpm documentation as follows:
>
> 	Once the rpm is installed, run 'faxsetup'. 'faxsetup'
> 	invokes another script in turn 'faxaddmodem'. If you don't
> 	experience problems like modem hanging, you most probably
> 	have a close to working version. Check if you are able to send
> 	and receive faxes. If there is any problem, time to look at
> 	the config files. There are two of them
> 	/var/spool/hyla/etc/config and
> 	/var/spool/hyla/etc/config.modem. Do a 'man config' and get
> 	an overview of all the parameters that can go in there. Try
> 	changing them.
>
> 	If your modem hangs during 'faxaddmodem', you might want
> 	to attempt a manual setup. copy the files
> 	config, config.modem, setup, and setup.modem from
> 	<to be specified directory> to /var/spool/hyla/etc.
> 	Look at /var/spool/hyla/config and see what looks closest
> 	to your modem. Adjust the config parameters through trial
> 	and error.

Hi,

The above looks good.  Just a "gentle" suggestion, from my AIX install
notes:

- If faxaddmodem ( or faxsetup ) hanges at "
  Probing for best speed to talk to modem:

  Make sure that your modem has verbose result codes enabled.  If that is not
  sufficient to make it work, try setting Carrier Dectect to be forced on.
  ( Typically &C0 ).  This is not necessary under all versions of AIX, but
  I did find it necessary some times.

This might help solve some problems.

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is
 no longer indespensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions