Re: Update of html documentation for pl2

Phil Watkinson wrote:

    Hi.

    I would like to do my bit for the forthcoming patch level 2, and would
    like to co-ordinate the update of the html documentation.

Most of the HTML documentation is part of the nomal HylaFAX
source distribution (and part of the RCS repository I got
from Sam). If you want to change HTML files or add new pages
please send me diff's to patch the old ones or new files.
I'ld be happy to integrated them into the pl2.

    The current html pages, as written by Sam Leffler, are of an excellent
    quality; and, as it says in the overview, there are 'gobs' of it.
    They're readable yet precise. I believe that all that is needed is a
    minor revision plus additional info for any new features.

    This is a list of the items that need to be revised - there're in no
    particular order, and listed just has I have thought of them :-

    A. Information on the new features of pl2 (and perhaps of pl1 as well?).

The (new) features and changes of pl1 are in the page html/v4.0beta022.php
(beta022 is also known as pl1) and the changes for pl2 will be in
a page html/v4.0beta023.php delivered with the new patch level after
the beta-test phase. I'll create this file.

    B. Emphasis to new users to install binary distributions rather than try
       to compile the sources.

    C. Mention the PC client programs available, WinFlex and Whfc.
       And MacFlex for the Mac ( any more?).

    D. Update the list of modems and their capabilities

    E. I would like to see the TODO list put into html (if only to gain a
       wider audience).

    F. Some basic info on regular expressions (as used in the hosts and
       destctrls files) would be very useful.

    G. Add to the Troubleshooting page info about :-
             * the 'cannot remove fax' message from faxrm
             * how to add a switchboard prefix number via dialrules
             * email attachments processed through faxmail
             * any more? (But not trying to repeat the FAQ)

    Any comments?  Anything else that should be added? How about info which
    is now obsolete and should be deleted? I will try to mail Sam and ask
    his permission to alter his work once we are happy about what needs to be
    done.

I can't see any reason to bother Sam for permission (see the copyright
information).

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions