new modems vs Class 2

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Do any of the new, fast modems support Class 2 or Class 2.0?

Although some of the Zoom Telephonics 33.6k modems support Class 2.0, the
latest model does not.  This apparently has to do with Rockwell withdrawing
support for Class 2.0 in their chipset (although I don't know exactly).

I personally want to use a modem with Class 2.0 support, since we use Sun's
with many users per box, and I don't believe in using general purpose
multi-user computers to do protocol timings that have values measured in
milliseconds.

The MultiTech ZDX line still supports Class 2.0, as far as I know.

While we're on the subject of which modem to use, I'd like to hear about
experiences with receiving faxes, which has always been a problem for us,
with both the MultiTech ZDX and Zoom Telephonics modems.  We can send faxes
anywhere, even overseas where the phone lines are often inferior to
domestic connections.  But receiving faxes has always been dicey.

Thanks!

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions