new modems vs Class 2

Do any of the new, fast modems support Class 2 or Class 2.0?

My understanding is that HylaFAX is much more likely to work with
Class 2 rather than Class 1 modems because Class 1 has more stringent
real-time response requirements.

In my casual looking at X2, K56, and even 33kbps modems, Class 2 seems
to have disappeared.

- Is this a problem for HylaFAX?

- I vaguely remember hearing something about changes to Class 1 that
  would reduce the realtime requirements.  Has this happened?  If so,
  does HylaFAX know?

- Are there high-speed analogue modems that support Class 2 or Class
  3.0 and that are cheap and reliable?

Case in point: I use a Motorola ModemSURFR (love that name!) external
28.8 fairly happily.  I've been offered upgrades to 33kbps and k56
ModemSURFRs, but neither seem to support Class 2.

What are others doing?

Thanks,

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253