Re: Fax and voice over the same line....

> 	Im using Hylafax v4.01p1  on BSD/OS 2.1 ( BSDI), and I want to
> use a voice phone, but I just have one line. Can I use the Hylafax in
> this way?

Here's my experience using it this way; I'm sure others have done things
differently.

Here in the states, we have a technology called "distinctive ring" (called
by other names at different telcos -- Bell Atlantic calls it
"Identaring").  This technology allows you to set up a new phone number
that runs on the SAME PHONE LINE, but rings with a DIFFERENT RING.  If you
get a modem that supports this, and configure HylaFAX appropriately, you
can use HylaFAX for FAX/data dial-in/dial-out, and still have voice calls
on your voice line -- although not at the same time.  (That is, if you're
sending a FAX, and someone calls you to talk about something, they'll get
a busy signal).

I use HylaFAX this way, in combination with Bell Atlantic's voice mail
service, and it works nicely.  At one point, I was working on adding voice
mail capabilities to HylaFAX, but when I realized that the telco's system
would allow me to deal with busy phone lines (i.e., when the line is busy,
the caller gets sent to voice mail, instead of a busy signal), I decided
that was better.

As I said, this is in the states -- I don't know where ".ni" is, but you
may have similar options available from your telco.

Rob

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions