Hylafax 4.0pl1 doesn't answer incoming calls

Dear friends,

I'd posted this problem to the Hylafax mailing list two months ago, but
not received any answer. The same problem has now reappeared on another
machine. This time it is intermittent; the last time it was repeatable. I
am enclosing the original post, since the symptoms there are the same
in the new case too.

In the previous case, the problem mysteriously went away after we tried
changing serial cables, serial ports, and serial cards on the computer.
We don't know which of these took care of the problem. In the current
case, I find the same symptoms, but they sometimes come and go. I have
set Hylafax to answer after 2 rings. Sometimes it times out,
reinitialises, and goes to RUNNING state even while the phone keeps
ringing, just as described below. Sometimes, it registers two rings in
the log files, complains about timeouts, registers a few more rings, and
then answers the phone. Once it does answer the phone, it works fine.
I've received faxes from people yesterday. Some of them had to try ten
times to get through. Once they managed to get carrier from my side,
their faxes came in perfectly.

Like before, I am using a 486DX4 with 16MB RAM, IDE hard disks, and
Hylafax 4.0pl0 binary for Linux that I picked up from ftp.sgi.com. My
modem in both cases is a ZyXEL Omni O288S with firmware 1.18. In the
last case, I was using Slackware 3.1.0 with kernel 2.0.27. In this case,
I am using Slackware 3.2.0 with kernel 2.0.29. In both cases, the libg++
shared libraries on the system are more than recent enough to handle
Hylafax' requirements as mentioned in the FAQ w.r.t. older Linux.

Like before, the modem is fine, outgoing data connections are fine,
outgoing faxes are fine. I haven't tested the modem for incoming data
connections.

Will someone please comment on my problem? I really hope I will get some

Thanks and regards,

Shuvam