Re: Re: sendpage hearing a busy

> On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 jimtoro@hoflink.com wrote:
>

> > When we try to send numeric pages via sendpage with:
> >
> >    sendpage -n -h myhost.com -p thedude "4110101"
> >
> > it appears to accept it and pass it to hylfax and take a modem offhook
> > and dial but then sendpage doesnt relinquish console control and after a
> > minute or two we get email that a busy signal was detected.  Doing a
> > manual dial to the pager company with a telco handset we dont get a busy
> > but do get a rapid "beep beep beep" then silence to accept our numeric
> > message.

That is not a valid modem answer sequence.  Are you sure that this is an
IXO/TAP message centre, as against, say, one intended for touch tone dialling.
Anything except a continuous tone is likely to confuse the type of modem
expected to be used.

> > Is the modem or hylafax detecting the pager companies beeping as a busy?.

The modem.  The log of the transaction would have confirmed this.

> > Is there any way to fix this as most pager companies do this sort of thing
> > before accepting a page.

None that I know (that actually use IXO/TAP).

> >                           Is it the modem on our end thats falsely
> > detecting busy or is it something that that

It is probable correctly detecting a false busy.

> > hylafax/faxgetty/dialrules/whatever could be tweaked to work with.

You could try disabling tone detection in the modem (typically a lower
number on ATX).  This might compromise the functioning of Hylafax, and
should probably be done in the info file, with an & to make it permanent.
You could also try dead reckoning the start of the answer tone, with
suitable delays after dialling, or try enabling any options in the
modem intended to cope with silent answers (I think this may be the
@ that seems to get set by default, at the end of the number).

However, unless you can get a modem answer tone by manually dialling, you
are lost anyway.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions