Please read: Heavy faxgetty/USR Sportster Vi problems

Hi!

I´ve got a load of problems. I have a Linux 2.0.23 with the latest Hylafax
and mgetty 0.98 to take on the data calls. I only run outbound fax service,
which works fine.

Before when I only ran mgetty directly to handle PPP-dialins everything worked
fine. Now when faxgetty is in charge and spawns mgetty when incomming calls
are made, I have lots of strange problems that shows up like every 7-10
times people try to call upp the modem.

I only have DATA call in
I only have FAX call out

The problems are:

1: Sometimes when someone tries to call up the modem to get PPP-access the
modem (faxgetty) doesn´t answer at all, or at least it doesn´t answer in
reasonable time. The faxgetty is set to answer at 1 (one) ring. It takes
forever.

2: Sometimes the modem gets into a state (or the faxgetty, who knows?)
where the line is busy, even though no one is calling in or out. It kind of
hangs.

3: Somtimes when faxgetty answers the modem goes wild and tries all the
different speeds, buzzing like hell, for data and fax again and again and
again in a loop that continues until you drop the line and try to call it
again.

But then approx 7 out of 10 times it works fine. And it is only the data call
that is a problem. The outbound faxes work.

I would really like some input and help here. We kind of depend on this
system so it is important that it works.

Peter

 Peter Bolmehag
 LundaForum AB
 Tel: 046-182513