Re: [hylafax-users] Most reliable transmission?

On 01/31/2011 03:03 PM, Amin Mozafari wrote:
External serial modems are almost always OK for outbound faxing. But Winmodems pose the problem. Success rate is terrible for outbound faxes.

iaxmodem is essentially a multi-channel winmodem. You can send many concurrent FAXes all day long with iaxmodem, with a very low failure rate - comparable to the best FAX boards.

A lot of modems - both serial and winmodems - have really poor FAX support, and give a high failure rate. On the other hand, one of the modems I regularly use for testing against the FAX modems in spandsp is a Genius winmodem, which uses the slmodem package for Linux. I can send or receive FAXes between those two all day with zero failures.

Winmodems have their issues, but so do other kinds of modem. I think they are excessively maligned.

Steve