[hylafax-users] faxadduser and hosts.hfaxd

We recently installed hylafax 6.x version for linux running on ubuntu 9.10

We added a user via

faxadduser -a admin1 -p admin1 -u 1001 admin1

however we can not get faxstat without prompting for a password
and further when we do give the password of admin1
it gives us a permissions error.

if we edit the hosts.hfaxd file after using faxadduser the file is empty
and zero length.

If we put in '*:::' as the line in hosts.hfaxd we can faxstat without
password,
but as soon as we faxadduser again and restart hylafax via
/etc/init.d/hylafax restart
the hosts.hfaxd is zero length again.

Can any one shed the light as to how to add a user that hylafax will
later allow the
usage of faxstat, etc.

I have seen examples talk about making client:uid:passwd,adminwd  in
hosts.hfaxd
as the first line but how do i get the password in there encrypted if
faxadduser is not
first creating a line in that file?

Has something changed with this in regards to ubuntu (9.10 or newer)?

thanks