[hylafax-users] Stand alone server

I am wondering if there is a complete, stand alone server of the hylafax asterisk add on?
I've been, like most, running hylax/avantfax on asterisk servers but have always found threads where folks are doing this on non asterisk based servers which is what I'd like to try.

 From what I have read, I believe they have created virtual modems and everything else that's needed without the bloat of asterisk which would certainly simplify things for me at least.

Can anyone give me some leads on this, perhaps there is an open source project, an ISO, something to try out?

Thanks.

Mike