[hylafax-users] US Robotics Sportster Model 0701 56k modem config file help

Hi all – I’m new to Hylafax and I have a plea for help :P

Version:  hylafax-server-6.0.4-1rhel5

OS:  Linux CentOS 5.5

Modem:  US Robotics 0701 – firmware version unknown, it’s connected via serial / RS232

* I assume it’s a “sportster” since what I can find about it online says it is BUT it doesn’t actually have it written on the unit, it does say “Model 0701”.

I see that in /etc/hylafax/config there are a list of config files, guessing from what I read Hylafax uses these config files to find my modem.  I see 3, US Robotics config files in my directory and they are:

- Usr-2.0

- Usr-rts

- Usr-xon

I see some data in the two bottom config files like this:

# CONFIG:CLASS1:1444:.*:RTSCTS: Manufacturer=USRobotics Model=Courier/Sportster

…etc, there’s a bunch listed.

I assume that number after “CLASS1” is the modem model number and alas…no 0701 :-(

I’ve read that I can you can create your own config file here:  http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Server_Operation:Tweaking_and_Customization#Modem_Config_Files

I’m up for the challenge but I don’t understand just “how” to execute what this doc is saying?

For example:

“Begin by using one of the following three "template" config files. If you do not know what class your faxmodem uses, then you can usually send it the 'AT+FCLASS=?' command, and the faxmodem will report the possible classes to use.”

Just HOW does one “send” the afore mentioned command?

I’ve been blessed with a modem that’s not in the coveted config list  :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s a few commands showing information:

- dmesg | grep serial

  serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

- setserial -g /dev/ttyS*

  /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

- setserial /dev/ttyS0 -v autoconfig

  /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4

- probemodem

  Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS0

  Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200

  …no love!

Thanks for anyone offering advice ;-)

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions