[hylafax-users] unable to determine source of usernames - faxstat -s

I am trying to identify the source of the usernames listed within logs
and with a faxstat -s. How are these names provided to hylafax? We use
iFax HylaFSP for our user's faxing frontend.

My predecessor claimed the users were authenticated against pam, but I'm
not seeing anything which would lead to such a conclusion: pam's
configurations appear generic, and there is not a single string in the
pam.d directory indicating association to our backend directory service
where these users are created. Likewise, hosts.hfaxd only has host
specific entries for root.

Is it possible that these accounts are not authenticating, per se, but
are simply passing a (windows) user ID via hylafsp?

Thanks,

--
Benjamin Hodgens