Re: [hylafax-users] How can I copy the .tif image file of the fax to a local directory?

* A J Stiles <hylafax_resp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [100826 08:14]:
> On Thursday 26 Aug 2010, PhyloGenesis wrote:
> > I want to automatically make a copy of an image fax file on my local system
> > whenever I receive a fax.  I've been trying to edit faxrcvd to do it but it
> > doesn't seem to even execute my commands.  I tried commands like cp $1
> > /home/phylogenesis/ to make a copy of the file but after receiving a fax
> > (and running faxstat indicates that I have mail), I don't see any new file
> > in /home/phylogenesis.  I've read that you can edit faxrcvd to move it to
> > your local system but I can't find any examples or explanations on how.
>
> If you are running Hylafax in a chroot environment, then it will only ever be
> able to save files within the chroot.
>
> There might be a way out of this using hard links, which transcend chroots
> (but do not transcend filesystems).  (Symbolic links transcend filesystems
> but not chroots.)

Only "hfaxd", the client-server protocol process runns in a chroot (in a
normal HylaFAX install).  faxrcvd isn't.  But faxrcvd (and notify,
pollrcvd, etc) all run as the UUCP user (usually uucp), which won't
(normally) have write access to a users's home directory.  He can use
usual unix permissions to make it writable for uucp.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103