Re: [hylafax-users] Procedural interrupt/operator intervention

Steve Underwood wrote:
I have never fully implemented the operator interrupt features of T.30 (PRI-MPS, PRI-EOM, PRI-EOP, PIP and PIN) in my FAX software, as I was never sure what is supposed to happen, and they are rarely used. Now I am seeing PRI-EOP messages in logs from a user, and I think its time I filled in the gaps in my support.

Appendix IV shows, message by message, what is supposed to happen if operators actually respond to a procedural interrupt request. My issue is what should happen when there is no operator to respond. Can I respond with MCF when I receive a PRI-EOP, just like I do when I receive an EOP? Can I treat a received PIP just like an MCF, and carry on with the next thing I would like to exchange? The flow charts don't seem to make this clear, unless I have missed some key notes.

Appendix II seems to imply that MCF is an appropriate response to PRI-EOP or EOP, but that table seems informational in nature, and not definitive.

I would appreciate any input people can give me.

In HylaFAX PRI-MPS, PRI-EOM, and PRI-EOP are always treated as their more-common counterparts (MPS, EOM, EOP). Thus, it would commonly respond with MCF or as appropriate, RTN. As the sender's use of the operator interrupt features with an automated receiver is essentially meaningless, this is really the only thing to do to be resilient, as the only other option is to disconnect.

With PIP HylaFAX treats the response as if it were MCF, but then ends the fax session at that point. (So if there were other pages to send it would be a failure. If that was the last page then a success.) This signal is typically heard from receivers when they've run out of paper and memory storage space.

With PIN HylaFAX treats the response as if were RTN, but then ends the fax session at that point. (So the last page is not confirmed as received, and the session is marked as a failure.) This signal is typically heard from receivers when they've run out of paper and memory storage space.

Thanks,