Re: [hylafax-users] Modem Initialization Question

Lee, All:

Perhaps there is a better way to handle my specific situation and I
would be thankful for any assistance or guidance.

Network Setup:
PRI's -> Cisco 2651XM -> Cisco CallManager 4.3 -> Cisco VG248 -> HylaFAX
Modems

Fax extensions are forwarded in CCM to two HylaFAX modems.
(4 extensions fwd to one modem, 5 extensions fwd to the other modem)

The phone & network equipment that our facility has does not allow the
dialed number DTMF digits (for fax routing) to be passed to our HylaFAX
server modems.  I've researched and been told by Cisco that to do so
would require an FXS/DID module in our 2651XM router (which our mgmt
doesn't wish to pay for right now).

I have cobbled together a work-around of sorts but it is not perfect by
any stretch.  I am not a programmer and have only learned enough to be
dangerous.

The work-around is as follows:

1) A call & fax is received as normal by HylaFAX
2) Every minute CallManager updates SQL db with completed call info
including the dialed number
3) Sixty-five seconds after a successful fax call ends, FaxDispatch
queries SQL for the last call to the modem extension which that fax was
received on - resulting in the original dialed number.
4) FaxDispatch routes fax to destination based on dialed number.

This seems to work quite well - however as mentioned it is nowhere near
perfect.

The main problem I have is based on timing between the CallManager SQL
updates and the FaxDispatch queries.

Occasionally a fax call will end on a (say) ttyS0.  Before the SQL
database gets updated with that "last call" information a 2nd call comes
into ttyS0 and also ends.  Since both of these calls are completed calls
they both get updated in the SQL database at the next update interval.
So when FaxDispatch queries SQL it gets the dialed number of the 2nd
call and not the 1st fax call - resulting in incorrect fax routing
sometimes.

My (feeble) thought was since we don't have high fax traffic - would it
be possible to prevent the modem from answering another call until the
last call is fully processed by FaxDispatch and routed to the intended
destination.  I thought that if the modem re-initialization was delayed
this would prevent the issue I've seen.

If you have other thoughts they are most welcome.

Thanks,
Greg