Re: [hylafax-users] compiling a universal hylafax

On Jun 14, 2010, at 4:03 AM, A J Stiles wrote:

> On Thursday 10 Jun 2010, Brian Postow wrote:
>> I'm trying to make a version of hylafax that will work on both Intel and
>> Power PC macs. I don't see that there is a configure option that will allow
>> me to do this easily.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this? or do I have to make it once on an intel,
>> make it once on a PPC, and then use lipo to merge each executable? (or,
>> simply have two tarballs that I carry around, one for powerpc, one for
>> intel...)
>>
>> any ideas?
>
> What am I missing here?  Surely the Source Code already *is* universal?  It
> should compile equally well on X86, AMD64, PowerPC or ARM.  The only thing
> you need then, is your own specific parameters for configure and any patches
> you want to apply.

Sorry, in mac parlance, "universal" means that the same program/application/library/etc runs on powerPC and intel. I can compile it on both, but then I have two sets of executables. If I want to have something that I can install on any mac, I need to make the EXECUTABLES universal, so the same file can be run on different architectures...

Brian Postow
Senior Software Engineer
Acordex Imaging Systems