Re: [hylafax-users] What driver version should I use for Patton 2977 / linux 2.6 kernel

Brent Butler wrote:
I have checked the archives and read that fax support using original
Digi drivers is broken completely for Class 1 and somewhat broken for
Class 2 on the Digi/Patton 2977 cards. Is this still true of the most
recent driver releases which include support for Linux 2.6 kernels??

Years ago I diligently tried to work with both Digi and Patton on their fax drivers/firmware for the AccelePort RAS and DataFire (Patton 2977) cards. Their marketing and sales staff were generally cooperative, and their technical staff initially was responsive to my bug reports... so much that Patton was able to release a firmware update that got things working fairly well... but in the end their interest waned, and I don't think that they were able to envision a profit in all of the work that I was asking them to do... and so it ended.

I never got them working on a 2.6 kernel, and so I had to abandon them when it became necessary for me to start using Linux 2.6.

Furthermore, for as long as I watched I never saw Digi or Patton include the fax firmware improvements in the publicly downloadable drivers. So you had to call for it to get it, and they'd send it to you, but it may have been so long ago that the institutional knowledge has been lost which made that accessible.

I also read in the archives that Patton fixed fax support soon after
acquiring the 2977 line but that you have to request from them the fax
firmware as this is not in their one-line release. Still true??

It was still true the last time I checked, but it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get anyone there who knew what you were talking about if you tried.

Patton has a stable version dgdm-1.05-1 but that is listed as only
supporting kernels to 2.4.

I never got them working on Linux 2.6.

They have a 'technology release' dated 10/26/2007 for CentOS4.4 single
server (i.e. a 2.6 kernel based driver). Does anybody know if this
driver has those 'fax fixes' in it or do I have to try to pry
something out of Patton? So far calls to tech support have gotten me
nowhere.

I don't know anything about that. I had abandoned the 2977s prior to that date.

I really need to build a fax server around a 2.6 kernel (CentOS 4.x
would be fine, 5.x better), and have the 2977 cards so really really
want to use them.

Save yourself a lot of headache and use Asterisk and IAXmodem with a T1 card (i.e. from OpenVOX) instead.

Thanks,