Re: [hylafax-users] Some faxes received at recipient blank

Daren Russell wrote:
On 29/04/10 13:23, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
+ -dMaxStripSize=0 \
This should work on both versions of GS, and make the new version of GS
write a single unlimtied strip that will work. I thouls eliminate the
need for Use2D, or the tiffcp hack...
Downgrading has worked for now, so it is currently off of my "priority"
list! When I have sorted out some other issues with a new server, I
shall be going back to this and will give this a try when re-updating
ghostscript (probably early next week).
OK, please do try it.  Just to give you more background.  Ghostscript
traditionally had that MaxStripSize set to 0.  It was changed in 8.71
(I think) to 8192.   And as soon as 8.71 was released, and they
realized they broke everything for everybody, they changed it.  They
didn't change it to 0 (unlimited), but to 1Million (or something big
like that).

So, ghostscript 8.71 is affected.  Newer GS (already in fedora
repositories) bumps this up to a value large enough to hold a page if
tiff data.  And previous to 8.71 it was unlimitted.  So by next week,
your ports might have it fixed already and you not even need
-dMaxStripSize....

But we want to make sure that -dMaxStripSize=0 works on "all"
ghostscripts, so if you could test that on your curren tone (and when
upgraded), I Still would appreciate it.

MaxStripSize is found in 'strings' output against Ghostscript 6.51, which is the oldest version I have available to me. I think it's safe to assume that anyone running an updated HylaFAX is likely to have a compatible Ghostscript.

This morning I updated ghostscript again to 8.71, and added the
-dMaxStripSize option to pdf2fax and ps2fax.  We haven't used the fax
much today, but the two that went this afternoon (which always seemed to
fail before) seem to have gone through ok, so it appears this small
change has fixed the issue with the change.

I think it's clear that default Ghostscript behavior has diverged from where HylaFAX has always expected it to be. The -dMaxStripSize=0 option will apparently be necessary to restore the historic behavior... although I suspect that for *most* cases the 1MB default will be adequate.

All of this said, I concluded that it's not wise to forever expect Ghostcript output to be formatted as particularly as fax requires. So while we can restore historic behavior by adding the -dMaxStripSize=0 option I feel it's wise for HylaFAX to double-check the Ghostscript output anyway... and if it's not formatted as-needed to then correct it using libtiff tools or whatever. HylaFAX already checks TIFFs in this fashion when they're submitted from the client as a TIFF... so this process of checking TIFF formatting is really nothing new to HylaFAX. That way, if Ghostscript ever does something else like this we don't have such a catastrophe on our hands.

Thanks,